Kate Douglas is right here at present bringing Slovakia’s nationwide dish to the ‘Recipes Across the World‘ collection!
Bryndzové halušky is a dish of small potato dumplings (halušky) with “bryndza” (Slovak sheep’s cheese) and it’s consolation meals at its highest.
My maternal grandparents immigrated to the USA from a village in Japanese Slovakia and my grandmother made this for her household each Friday. Now my mother and I make it utilizing her recipe.
It may be eaten as the primary course or, in smaller parts, as a aspect dish. Nevertheless, my household all the time eats it alone because it’s VERY filling; as my grandma would say—it’s meant to maintain you going for a full day’s work!
The dough is the trickiest a part of this dish, however when you perceive the consistency I promise it’s fast and straightforward to make!
Right here’s the recipe for easy methods to make Slovakian Bryndzové Halusky at residence!
Bryndzové halušky is the nationwide dish of Slovakia! In some areas the place sheep had been scarce and solely cows had been saved, the halušky is ready with cottage cheese somewhat than bryndza (sheep’s cheese).
We don’t have Slovak bryndza in the USA, so our household makes a bryndza substitute utilizing crumbled feta cheese and bitter cream, which has the same style.
Typically, bryndzové halušky is topped with thick bacon cubes or sausage, however as a vegetarian, I depart the meat out and that is the model I’m sharing with you.
So placed on some conventional Slovak Fujara music and let’s get began!
Makes four parts
- four medium/massive pink potatoes or 2 massive Russet potatoes
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp salt (plus a pinch to salt the water)
- 1 tbsp butter (optionally available)
For the bryndza substitute:
- 6 oz. (about ¾ cup) feta cheese
- About 5 heaping tbsp Bitter Cream
The dough is prepared when the spoon can get up within the dough and falls down slowly to the aspect.
Recipe + Preparation
- Put together the bryndza substitute: Break up any bigger feta crumbles with a knife to make smaller. Mix the feta and bitter cream and stir effectively. Permit combination to sit down and are available to room temperature whilst you put together the halušky.
- For the halusky: Carry a big pot of water to a rolling boil and add a pinch of salt. Whereas the water is heating, wash and peel potatoes.
- Finely grate the potatoes into a big bowl. This can be completed by hand, utilizing a superb meals grater, or by putting the peeled and chopped potatoes right into a meals processor and processing till pureed. Fastidiously pour out any extra water from the grated potatoes.
- Stir within the salt and progressively add the flour, mixing effectively. Essential: slowly stir within the flour to make sure you don’t add an excessive amount of as the quantity wanted will range relying on potato measurement. Chances are you’ll not use all the flour, or may have a little bit extra. The dough is prepared when the spoon can get up within the dough and falls down slowly to the aspect.
- Place a portion of the dough onto a picket chopping board. Utilizing a small knife, lower and “toss” the dough into the boiling water, ensuring to maintain the items comparatively small and related in measurement. The drops of dough ought to keep collectively within the boiling water and never break aside. In the event that they break aside, add extra flour to the dough to thicken.
- When the halušky rises to the highest, use a slotted spoon to take away and place right into a colander. Repeat this course of with parts of the dough in order to not depart the cooked dough within the boiling water for too lengthy.
- Give the halušky dumplings a fast rinse within the colander with sizzling water to take away extra starch.
8. Pour out the water from the pot and switch the halušky again into the pot. Stir within the butter to coat the halušky (optionally available).
9. Fastidiously stir within the bryndza/substitute, coating the halušky evenly. Serve heat.
Ideas and Methods
Work FAST when peeling and grating the potatoes to stop browning. I like to recommend pouring out water from the grated potatoes as you go and stirring in a little bit of the flour to maintain the halušky dough from browning an excessive amount of as you’re employed by peeling and grating the potatoes.
My household prefers utilizing pink potatoes as they appear to be much less starchy and never as sticky as Russets, however both will work.
In Slovakia, most individuals use a halušky maker referred to as a “haluškár” which seems like a pan with holes within the backside. The dough is positioned within the haluškár and dropped by the holes into the boiling water. This retains the halušky uniform in measurement and form.
A spaetzle maker may very well be used for the same impact, however I like at hand toss the dough as that’s the way in which my grandmother did it.
A variation of this dish, referred to as Strapačky s kapustou, which my household additionally enjoys, could be made with sauerkraut (¾ of a 28 ouncescan) somewhat than cheese as follows:
Rinse and drain the sauerkraut. Soften four tbsps of butter in a skillet. Add a medium diced onion, cooking round three minutes till translucent. Add the sauerkraut and a tsp of sugar. Combine effectively and cook dinner till evenly browned. Stir ready sauerkraut combination in with ready halušky dumplings. Serve heat.
This recipe conjures up heat emotions of household and custom. On a latest journey to Slovakia with my mother, we loved many evenings eating in cozy kolibas savoring this dish together with different conventional Slovak meals.
One factor is for certain, that is cooking with love! Dobrú chut’!
(Should you had been so as to add bacon or a pretend meat topping—there’s a photograph reference above!)
Wish to discover different scrumptious meals from all over the world to make? Try these recipes!